- Progressive Education
- Inside Putney
- Fundamental Beliefs
- Residential Life
- Campus Map
- Putney at a Glance
- Strategic Plan
- Graduation Speakers
- Field House
- Putney in Video
- Putney People
- Support Putney
- Summer Programs
Putney’s Strategic Direction
To address the challenges we now face, Putney must remain unique. We must sustain our commitment to the arts and land use programs that distinguish us, and offer an educational experience that is outstanding, that teaches and enriches the lives of young people in ways that are not possible elsewhere. We must live our mission and ideals to the fullest.
The Putney School stands for a way of life. Putney is committed to developing each student’s full intellectual, artistic and physical potential. Putney students are encouraged to challenge themselves intellectually, to pursue rigorous learning for its own sake, to actively participate in and appreciate the arts, to contribute meaningfully to the work program that sustains the School community and the farm on which it is located, to engage in vigorous athletics, and to develop a social consciousness and world view that will provide the foundation for life-long moral and intellectual growth.
Adopted June 8, 1997
- Putney is an educational community where the experiences are broad, expectations are high and friendships are close. This is a school where energetic and thoughtful young people from diverse backgrounds engage in many experiences, learn responsibility and begin to feel their potential.
- The ability to learn and the desire to question are critical to human growth and creative achievement. Our academic program stimulates intellectual curiosity and the skills necessary for thoughtful and thorough learning. Students are encouraged to question and to work independently.
- We believe that music, the arts and crafts are basic expressions of the human spirit and the quest for beauty. To that end, each student participates in the arts and in music to develop skills that will bring lifelong enjoyment.
- We live close to the land and cultivate an appreciation of nature. By studying the environment of which we are a part, we gain understanding of our role as stewards of the land.
- The years at Putney are a time of intense outdoor activity. Students work on the land and take part in a vigorous athletic program; they develop self-reliance and lifelong pleasure in accomplishment.
- Life at Putney helps students develop intellectual integrity and social conscience. Living in a small community, we urge consideration and respect for others.
- We believe that freedom entails responsibility.
The broad range of experiences and intensity of life at Putney help students to understand their full potential as human beings. By looking beyond our hilltop to the rest of the world, we encourage them to work consciously toward the highest civilization they can envision.
From Articles of Association. Revised April 13, 2002
In light of these challenges and our commitment to remain unique and fully live our mission, we want to build on the achievements of the past 10 years. We have identified the following priorities to guide the Putney School over the next 5 years: